Although the weather on the Mendocino Coast tends to be beautiful, there are times when the rain comes down. Here are some activities that you can try when it is too nasty to be out in it!
- Ride the Skunk Train.
- Visit a Museum – Triangle Tattoo Museum or Guest House Museum in Fort Bragg; or Ford House Visitors Center or Kelley House Museum in Mendocino.
- Test your skills at an arcade.
- Take a tour of a brewery (Saturdays only; call for times). North Coast Brewing Company offers tours of their facility at 444 North Main Street, Fort Bragg CA 95437, 707. Call 964-2739.
- Go to the movies. Coast Cinema in Fort Bragg shows current movies in 4 theaters. Check their Web site or call 707-964-2019 for showtimes.
- Go see a play. The Mendocino Theatre Company has plays going on throughout the year, so you can usually find a play on Thursday evening, Friday evening, Saturday evening, and Sunday afternoon.
- Mendocino Hotel – Take in the sights of the 1860′s hotel and cozy up to the fireplace. You have a great view of Mendocino Bay from the restaurant.
- Noyo Harbor – There are several choices for lunch or dinner where you can watch the waves, fishing boats, and harbor seals.
- Drive along the Coast – North to Westport or South to Elk – both directions have spectacular ocean views.
- Pick a spot to park and watch the big waves. Either of the parking lots on the Mendocino Headlands will let you see spectacular waves without being inconvenienced by the gale-force winds and driving rain. The beach at Van Damme SP also gives you a birds-eye view of big waves.
- Drive to the movie spots from “100 Years of Movies” and then rent one of the movies.
- Take a limo tour through the Wine Country in the Anderson Valley.
- Go check out a lighthouse. The Point Arena Lighthouse is directly accessible by car, but you have to walk to get to the lighthouse at Point Cabrillo.
You won’t find a chain department store, and you won’t find a Walmart. What you will find is a wide range of one-of-a-kind retail stores, artist co-ops, and boutiques. One of our favorites is Out of this World, selling fine optics and science toys on Main Street in Mendocino. There are also a lot (!) of galleries, clustered mostly in Mendocino and Fort Bragg. Don’t miss the Mendocino Art Center for a great collection of visiting and resident artists.
For the book browers a must visit is Cheshire Books at 345 N. Franklin, Fort Bragg or Gallery Books at Main & Kasten Streets, Mendocino.
Pamper Yourself At a Spa
Sweetwater Inn & Spa, 955 Ukiah Street, Mendocino, 707-937-4076 or 1-800-300-4140
Bamboo Garden Spa, 303 N. Main St. #C, Fort Bragg, 707-962-9396
Stevenswood Spa Resort, 8211 N Highway 1, Mendocino, 707-937-2810
Third Court Salon & Day Spa, Little River Inn, 7901 N Highway 1, Little River, 707-937-3099
Take a Walk Under the Trees
While it isn’t very pleasant to walk in the rain at most locations (especially if it is windy!), a fun thing for the hardier types is to go for a hike in the redwoods, such as at Russian Gulch SP or Van Damme SP. When you’re under the redwoods, you get very few raindrops on you — just watch out for the big drips down your neck!